It Was a Long Day as Barricaded Gunman Refused to Surrender


Shooting a gun in Troy is illegal, even in your own home, and especially when you aim it at the police. This incident lasted a very long time, and thankfully no one was injured.

It all started at 3:23 a.m. last Tuesday, February 20, when the Troy Police Department received a 911 call from a female who reported that she had fled her home on Brooklawn Street after her adult son fired shots in the home.

The caller identified the suspect as Bryce Williams, a 36-year-old male who also resides in the home. The caller reported that her husband was still in the home with Williams and she could still hear gunfire. Officers quickly arrived on scene, gave shelter to the victim caller, and set up a perimeter around the home. Officers continued to hear gunfire from the home and a short time later observed an older male flee from the residence. The male, Williams’ father, advised officers that his son was now in possession of at least three handguns.

Two of the initial arriving officers are members of the department’s crisis negotiation team and were able to quickly establish phone contact with Williams. Williams was clearly agitated and aggressive, continued to fire rounds in the home, and refused to surrender to officers. Williams also set up strobe lighting in the front window to inhibit officers’ vision as they held the perimeter. Simultaneously, efforts to advise the surrounding neighbors in the neighborhood north of Big Beaver and east of Adams to shelter in place were made by officers on scene and Troy communications personnel.

The Troy Police Tactical Support Team and additional members of the Crisis Negotiation Team were called out and responded. As the incident progressed and negotiations continued, additional tactical resources responded from the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office and Southeast Oakland SWAT. Alliance Mobile Health also had several ambulance crews on scene.

Early in the afternoon, Williams refused to continue phone contact with the negotiation team and an additional gunshot was heard in the home. Tactical officers were able to breach the front door of the residence and insert a robot with monitoring capability. It was discovered that Williams was still armed and had fortified his bedroom with furniture from the home. Negotiations were reestablished through the robots audio capability.

After lengthy negotiations failed to progress with Williams, tactical officers introduced nonflammable chemical munitions into the residence. This action caused Williams to move from his barricaded position towards the front of the residence, although still armed with a handgun.

Tactical Officers on scene continued ordering Williams to drop the firearm via the robot and the armored vehicle PA system. Just prior to Williams reaching the front door tactical officers observed him throw the firearm across the floor. At 4:58 pm, 13.5 hours after the initial 911 call was received, Williams exited the residence unarmed and was immediately taken into custody by the Tactical Support Team. The family pet, an elder beagle, was safely removed from the home uninjured.

Williams was transported to a local hospital and cleared for incarceration and then brought to the Troy Police station. This afternoon, Williams was arraigned at the 52-4 District Court on a four count felony warrant; Discharge of a gun in a building, Felonious assault, and two counts of Possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony. His bond was set at $125,000 and he was transferred to the Oakland County Jail.

The Troy Police Department would like to express their gratitude to the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office, the Birmingham Police Department, the Bloomfield Township Police Department, and each member department of the Southeast Oakland SWAT team for their help in bringing this incident to a peaceful conclusion.